Posted by peskypippi | Posted in Celebrations, Love, Marriage, Wedding | Posted on 05-06-2012
Tags: anniversary, ceremony, couple, days, husband, love, memories, wedding, wedding day, wife
One wedding day. While I could write about the beauty and love and sweetness of that one day, I decided to write about all the other little things that made that day memorable.
- One rainy day in June, in a summer of hot, sunny days. Outside wedding, with no back-up plans.
- One manicure and pedicure. The bride’s first.
- One ginormous piece of chocolate cake gobbled down by the bride an hour before the ceremony. Nerves. And starvation.
- One floppy-hat-wearing woman in a floral dress took over the bride’s bathroom and changing area–and would not leave. Yikes! No place to change!
- One janitor’s closet brimming with mops, down the hall. Bride’s father saved the day and stood guard while she wiggled into her dress, knocking over brooms.
- One hug by a well wisher, pre-ceremony, left one red lipstick stain on the bride-to-be’s puffy sleeve. Club soda needed pronto!
- One dry spell, moments before the ceremony, lifted the clouds so the bride and groom could exchange their vows in sunshine.
- One couple, with the biggest grins you ever saw, standing before 30 people. A small wedding. With big heart.
- One starched groom, who found he was allergic to the starch in the rental tux shirt. Puffy, itchy head-to-belly rash post-ceremony. Only to be cured by 48 hours of honeymoon sunshine.
- One long table with all the swordfish, garlic mashed potatoes, endive salad and three-tiered chocolate cake you could eat. Oh and Robert Mondavi wine all around.
- One hefty restaurant tab for the newly-married couple. Who would take nearly two years to pay off. Independence.
- One drunk chauffeur. Who swerved and sped down the freeway, in the black Towncar, to get the bride and groom to the airport to catch their midnight flight..
- One airport snafu. The plane tickets were in the bride’s married name, yet her passport and driver’s license were in her not-married name. Houston: we have a problem. A stopover in Houston, Texas to plead to the authorities. Have pity on the bride, wearing her jeans and veil on board.
- One red-eye flight to Puerta Vallarta, Mexico. On our wedding night.
- One week off of work from our first out-of-college jobs. Not much vacation time accrued when you’re just starting out.
- One afternoon, upon arrival, with Macarena playing in the background, was one happy couple who passed out from exhaustion, poolside.
One memorable wedding day. And life for this one couple is still just as quirky and funny and love-filled and riddled with goof-ups, 6,935 days later.